2 Tbsp. Butter
3 tsp. Dried Parsley
2 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
1 tsp. Onion Salt
1 tsp. Salt
1 ½ Cups Water
1 Beef Bouillon Cube
1 Med. Onion
4 Cups Sliced Carrots
8 Med. Russet Potatoes
- Season one side of the roast evenly with ½ tsp. ground black pepper, ½ tsp. onion salt and 1 tsp. dried parsley; lightly rub the seasonings on the roast. Flip, and repeat with ½ tsp. ground black pepper, ½ tsp. onion salt and 1 tsp. dried parsley on the other side.
- Melt the butter in a skillet or I actually do this my crock from the slow cooker on the stove. Then sear the meat until it is brown on both sides.
- Next place the meat on a separate plate, then add the water and a beef bouillon cube to the pan you browned the meat in. Deglaze the pan by stirring briskly with a whisk or a fork. You want to loosen all the little bits of meat, fat and seasonings that stick to the bottom of the pan. This is where so much of the flavor is, and you don’t want to loose that. If you are using a separate pan pour all of this into your slow cooker crock and place the meat in the bottom.
- Peel and cut off both ends of the onion, then cut it into wedges. Place onion wedges around and on top of the meat, and then add the sliced carrots. Season carrots with ½ tsp. salt and ½ tsp. ground black pepper.
- Next peel and dice potatoes into 1-inch cubes and add them to the slow cooker. Again season with ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp. ground black pepper and also 1 tsp. dried parsley this time.
- Cover and cook on high for about 4-5 hrs or until the meat is done and the vegetables are fork tender, but not mushy. (Temperature and cooking time may vary from one slow cooker to the next, so adjust as needed.)
Tip: If your vegetables get done before the meat, simply move them to a dish with a lid and finish cooking the meat.